Monday, April 24, 2006

hEnRy ChArLeS fOx

Would you believe that l was removing a poster from a frame in our home when l discovered this painting being used as a backboard! The painting is signed by H.C.Fox and is dated 1913. I have looked up Henry Charles Fox (1860-1925) on the web and have found out that he was a London born artist who was best known for his rural landscapes in watercolour and oil. He actually stopped exhibiting the year this painting was done but continued to paint until a few years before he died. If anyone has more information on this painter l would love to hear from you.
Check this out: http://www.artnet.com/artist/6407/henry-charles-fox.html ~ the signatures match and the painting is definitely in the same style- how wonderful is this!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi, This artist could have been a friend of my fathers. My third name is Fox after an artist at about this time. We had several paintings by Fox in our home. The one I inherited was sold to my sister as I was told it was in too bad a condition to travel to the other end of the world. (I have doubts about this.) I will try and find out some more about Fox. The paintings at home looked like another I saw on the web, oil country scene.Jac

Anonymous said...

Hullo - Henry Charles Fox was living in Billingshurst by the time your picture was painted. He often put a distinctive church spire on the skyline - I wonder whether what seems to be a tower in your picture could be Christs Hospital School - between Billingshurst & Horsham. John Hurd (Billingshurst)