Wednesday, June 07, 2006

ThAt'll Be Aw fOr NoU

We had a car boot sale this past weekend and did quite well. Among those who came to the stall were people speaking in ‘old Doric’ ~ my mum was quick to point this out. Doric is a language/ Dialect of Scotland ~ from the North East. Although small, Scotland has quite a diverse culture and there are many variations of the Scottish tongue.
Most recently, an important cultural voice for this language was gifted by Maureen Watt as she read out her oath of loyalty in the ‘Doric’ at the Scottish parliament. Maureen Watt is an SNP (Scottish National Party) politician from the north-east ~ Keith.
On looking up information on ‘old Doric’ l realised why my mother was so quick to recognise the language ~ mum uses Doric words herself! Here’s just a few:
Wood=wid
Trousers=breeks
Withered=wizzen
Turnip=neep
Sew-seeds=shew
Soup=broth
Roof gutter=rone
Potato=tattie
Mother/Father=mither/faither
Living=leevin
Light=licht
Small stones=chuckies
This site is worth a peek: Scots Grammar
Especially liked the Proverbs
Anyway, l have to say the ‘old Doric’ is a wonderfully evocative language ~ cheeky & beautiful at the same time ~ which sums up so much of the Scottish character.
It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht – try saying that fast!

4 comments:

TJ said...

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Language-of-Appalachia&id=2393
I thought you might be interested in this site...I am from Ky of Scots-Irish decent...our dialet picks up a lot from that.
:-D

HORIZON said...

Enjoyed that read tammy. do you think we could be related? smile :) All of my family history is from Scotland and Ireland. I think perhaps a few Vikings dropped by also because we are all tall and my sis has lovely blond hair. lol

TJ said...

I'm the short one...although there is one of my sissy's that's shorter...my daughter is 5' 11'' and her children are very tall...the boy is just 5 and the girl is 3....but their dad is 6" 5"...and so was my dad. And I personally believe we are all kin in some way or another...but it is interesting how simular our dialects can be. It can feel very familiar at times.
The red hair pops up all over the place in the family...my daughter was the first in a long while...and I wish I had a nickle for every time I was asked...where does the red hair come from?? My hubby and I have the same hair color~~brown and so does our son...for some reason son is very proud to be of Scots-Irish decent...but I remind him we do have Cherokee indian too and he says not you mom...look at that ivory completion!!!

SnowWhite said...

Och I the noo,hey sis weird but something mum could pop right out the blue lol. Need to get me hearing onto broadband to be able to keep up with the accent when I get over in August lol
talk soon